Saturday, September 6, 2008

Grandpa Mecham




Well, we will try another blog. This coming week will be the anniversary of Grandpa Mecham's death. (September 9, 2003) So, I am thinking I will dedicate a few blogs to him. Memories of him. This picture was taken a few days before he died. Aunt Julie and Uncle Frank had taken him on a church history tour. He really loved it. He loved the gospel of Jesus Christ. He loved to serve everybody, from Pearl, who he did all kinds of errands, to his family. There were a lot of widows that were pretty sad when he left this earthly experience. I believe he is still serving. Here is my testimony of this truth.
A month or so before Lyric and Scott's wedding, Dad and I were in the Boise temple on a ward assignment. We were doing sealings and happen to be with a couple who had many family names. It was a small sealing room and it was even smaller when I shut my eyes and felt all the spirits in the room. Even the sealer mentioned that he had other records we could be doing, but felt there were many here for this work to be done, so he was going to continue with the family names.
As I enjoyed the feelings of the temple veil so thin, a 'door opened' and my dad's presence walked into the room. In my thoughts, I expressed my love for him and mentioned Lyric's approaching wedding in the temple. I also conveyed that I would not feel his presence as I knew I would be quite caught up in everything else. He conveyed to me that he would be there but that he had things to do now. His presence left the room.
He had worked in the temple for several years after his mission and before mom's death. He loved every minute of it I'm sure he was thrilled with the chance to continue the work on the other side.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maudie, I just stumbled upon your blog via Justin and Becky. I love this post about your dad! I will never forget when we first moved to Wendell and we lived so close to both of your kids grandparents. We went to Grandma Vipperman for her animal graham crackers and Grandpa Mecham for bike repairs. Your Dad gave me my patriarchal blessing which has proved to be an incredible tool and blessing in my life. One thing I think of when I think of him are the incredible roses that he could grow. Talk about beautiful! I think blogging family stories are awesome!