Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Handcart Trek



This last weekend, Rick and I was invited to be a Ma and Pa for our Stake handcart Trek. It has been a concern for me every since I found out that we were going. A few years ago, I was over a 4th year hike and made a real fool of myself. It was very embarassing and I certainly didn't want to have it happen again. so, I tried to prepare for the trek. I asked lots of questions, and proceede to do some walking around the neighborhood. Here are some things I learned while on the trek.
  • Knee-high hose works!!! I wore a pair of knee-highs and then a sock and shoes. NO BLISTERS!!!! (which is more than Rick can say. H said he should have worn them)


  • This picture if of a friend of ours in our ward. He went barefoot the first and last day of the trek. Pretty amazing.



  • When I hear any stories about Rocky Ridge, I know what they are talking about. Although ours was not as long it was tough.


  • Ice cubes thrown into a stream doesn't come close tot he actual Sweetwater Crossing. However, Young men carrying their young women peers across a stream brought tears to my eyes, imagining the sight from the past.



  • I can't imagine taking small children across the U.S. in handcarts. I thought many times about my grandchildren and how hard it would have been having them along.


  • Four ounces of flour makes a very boring, small biscuit. When the gave the kids their 4 oz the leaders made them believe that was dinner. We were all glad to see the BBQ pork later.


  • Tears streamed down my face as they called the 'men' to be a part of the Mormon Battalion. Not for fear of what was ahead for me but what the men were doing for a country that had betrayed them. When the the prophet had asked them to do this, the men stepped forward to serve their country, their prophet, and their God.




  • When the leaders tell you the 2nd day should only be 6 miles, don't believe them. We walked 10 miles the second day.


  • Justin Elmer, a young man from our ward who is soon headed to St. Petersburg, Russia for a mission , is unbeatable in the stick pull.


  • Yes, the latrine truck can get stuck in the mud. (clear above its axles!)






  • One of my 'daughters' said, " I think if we had been in a handcart company that left early in the year, I probably could have been a part of a handcart company." I agree. Although we hear a lot about the trials of the Willie and Martin handcart companies, there were many who walked the trail and made it safely. They must have become very close as a group and were thrilled to arrive in the valley.


  • As we walked and walked and walked--and walked-- I thought how the saints must have felt knowing that each step led them to Zion and to a prophet of God. How exciting it must have been for them.




  • The youth of this dispensation are awesome!! Their testimonies are so strong. I personally had my own Sweetwater Hero in our family. He pulled the cart 90% of the time and bore a strong testimony at our devotional. The Lord's church is going to be in good hands.



The trek was trulya wonderful experience.


4 comments:

The Hardy Things in Life said...

What a neat experience for you guys! It sounds like you had a good time!! I can't imagine doing that with my 2 young daughters. Hope things are well, miss you guys!

Ariane said...

Thanks mom! I cried the whole time I read about your experiences. Sign me up for the next trek!

Hannah said...

I'm glad you had such a good time! I loved our trek, it's hard but totally worth it! I will never forget my experience! You guys are lucky to have had the experience! So Fun!

The Henriksons said...

I have always said the trek was the hardest thing I ever did and if they asked us to do it again I would in a minute. I bet you guys were a great Ma and Pa. I still tear up when I talk about parts of the trek and our "kids" come up to us at stake functions and give us hugs. Treks are the best!! Millie